shabby background

Monday, March 31, 2014

(Almost Forgotten) Cherished Moments

Using a brother as a footstool
... or a sister
Life is craaaaay-zeeeee busy in our home these days.  The kids are in full-fledged toddler quaddler mode, Jenna is busy as ever, and- well, life is just busy!  Many a day I walk up the stairs after putting the kids to bed and with a sigh say to myself, "Well, another day down!".
I am so busy just getting through the moments of each day (and cleaning up after those moments), that it is easy to hurry past or even ignore the little cherished things that make life sweet.  So tonight I thought I would list just some of these little things before they waft out of my mind for good...
Hannah pushing Lauren on a toy scooter
>>> I love the way Hannah laughs so brightly, it sounds literally like "ha HAW!".  She giggles infectiously... how she has such a kind, honest quality- Hannah knowingly handing me small items like hair ties that make their way into her mouth, giving back toys she took from another when I ask her to, handing Tyler his dog because she knows he likes sucking on its legs.  The way Hannah is usually the first to pick up on how a toy works, how or why things happen, and how mom works...


>>> I love the way Lauren loves to curl up on the sofa, press a soft blanket under her nose, and read book after book to herself.  She softly will whisper what sounds like Chinese to herself as she flips through pages... the way Lauren will quietly sneak her way into places that might be off-limits... how she repeats almost everything she hears and will speak in full paragraphs that again, sound like Chinese... the way she lights up when you read to her and will deliberately plop down on your lap as an invitation for you to read more to her... I love her curiosity and sweet disposition and tender heart...

>>> I love the way Tanner will run to you, throw his arms around you in a hug, and snuggle in...  how Tanner loves to stick his face in the bath water and blow bubbles- and how he sometimes (just to make sure) will have a coughing fit because he tried to see if he could maybe breathe underwater this time... I love the way he gets excited and will exclaim, "Ha Ha HA!"as he moves to the source of happiness... the way he loves to say "All done" for anything he is done playing, eating, or doing... the way he will hear me say "No" to something, look at me with those big blue eyes, and then knowingly do it again just to see if I really meant it... I love how he looks at me adoringly, like I am the love of his life...

... I love the way Tyler will hug his legs tight around my waist and wrap his arms around my neck in an effort to stay in my arms forever... the way he grins with his whole body and will clap for himself when he does something well... how today he got so much glee tipping over lawn furniture and throwing ice chunks over the edge of the deck railing...the way Tyler will notice across the room when daddy comes in and will stop whatever he is doing, make a b-line to Andy and exclaim "Dada!" over & over... the way he will throw his beloved dog out of his crib at least once during the bedtime process just so that I will give him a little more attention as I toss it back into his crib... the way he sleeps in the most unusual way with his upper body folded over his legs, the dog's leg in his mouth, and a blanket covering his head...


... I love the way Jenna came home from school today, quickly exchanged pants & shoes for flip flops & skirt, and then happily rode her bike and played outside all evening in this warm weather... the way Jenna will make a card for anyone who hurts themselves or is sad, particularly a brother or sister or friend... I love snuggling in bed with Jenna at night as she proudly and proficiently reads her beginner reading books from school... the way we say prayers and sing songs afterwards, and her bringing up questions that would stump theologians- I am not sure if this is a stall tactic or completely genuine, but many a night I love as we lay in her bed and snuggle and have good talks that go way past bedtime on a school night... I love her zest for life and utter five-ness...


And now that I have chronicled a few moments that would certainly have been forgotten, I love the thought that when I read this years from now, I will probably not remember the in's and out's of what made life so very hectic, but I can be reminded of these small but cherished moments and appreciate them for what they are.  So very, very sweet.

Hope you can take time today and smile as you remember some (almost forgotten) cherished moments that make your life sweet!

Hugs!

Becky


No comments:

Post a Comment