shabby background

Saturday, January 24, 2015

When Grandma Came to Visit...

...we had so much fun we forgot to take pictures!  
Here is the one picture I have that proves grandma was here:
A happy grandma snuggles a happy Hannah :-)
My mom & stepdad live about 5 minutes from us, and Andy's parents live about 10 minutes away.  We are so thankful to have parents/grandparents that live so close!  However, since my parents retired about 6 years ago, they have taken to becoming SnowBirds.  For those of you not familiar with this term, it refers to people (usually retired) leaving this cold state of Michigan during the frigid months and returning just in time for the thaw & bloom of Spring.

However, let me clarify- they do not "vacation", but rather they volunteer (often at different National Parks) for the Winter months.  The last 2 years, they decided to stay here and "volunteer" at the Niemeyer Homestead! But, alas, this Fall they set out for Arizona to volunteer at a Buenos Aires National Wildlife Rescue.  To say we miss Grandma and Grandpa is an understatement!



Grandma needed her grandkid fix, and so she arranged to come and stay with us for 2 weeks after the New Year.  She came on a snowy day and unfortunately was stuck in Chicago for 2 days while the weather cleared up.  I had a very sad Jenna those 2 days!  Thankfully my Aunt & Uncle live in West Chicago and Aunt Nancy was planning on visiting anyways, so mom stayed with them and arrived safely on a Saturday.

Grandma shared a trundle bed in Jenna's room and snuggled with Jenna each morning, telling her "adventure stories".  The kids enthusiastically preferred gamma over momma in nearly every situation.  My mom helped watch kids so I could tackle some of my ongoing organization projects.  She watched the kids overnight so Andy & I could go on an 11-year Anniversary overnight date.  She babysat the kids when I went to work.  We even went to this really cool local fun spot, Catch Air, with her and Mimi (Andy's mom)!  It was really, really nice to not only have her visit, but to stay with us!
Oh wait!  I got her in a second photo!  She is that lady on the right, watching my kids swing on balls at Catch Air :-)




It was so nice to have grandma here and we can't wait until she and Grandpa come back in the Spring!

Who do you really enjoy coming by to visit?

Hugs!

Becky

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when I forget to snap pictures too. Glad you snapped a couple,many that your mom got some Neimeyer time. I know you miss her like crazy!

    ReplyDelete