shabby background

Friday, July 10, 2015

Someone's First Fireworks!

I have seen the fireworks with Andy on the 4th of July ONCE in the 12 years I have known him.
We watched them together in his patrol car, in between calls.  I was doing a ride-along, we were both sweating under bulletproof vests, and we either were dating or very newly married.  
Spoiler: It was not romantic.  At all.

As a Police Officer, Andy always got called in to work on the 4th of July even if it was his day off.  It was just part of the job.  However, since his recent switch from Police officer to Tree Guy, we are starting some new traditions!  I suppose I could have taken Jenna to see the fireworks last year, but with the younger kiddos I just didn't have the energy or motivation to try and find a sitter & take her alone.  Maybe next year we will take all the kids, but this year we wanted Jenna to have a special fireworks date with mom & dad- no little siblings included, thank you very much!

This year our family celebrated the birthday of America in a lovely cottage in New Buffalo owned by my friend's parents.  The cottage was simply perfect!  My favorite part was when Andy & I took Jenna & niece Elizabeth to see the 4th of July fireworks on the beach at dusk.  When they started, Jenna squealed with excitement and oohed and aahed the entire time.  With the first few fireworks, she gleefully exclaimed, "Mom!  It's lighting up the whole sky!". 



Happy Birthday, America!


The fireworks were on the beach and just beautiful.  We are so very proud to live in this Country, and on the drive into New Buffalo I was trying to teach Jenna the significance of what living in America means.  History expert I am not, but maybe that's a good thing because a 6 year old can only take in so much information. ;-)
The rest of the weekend we enjoyed the cottage, pool, beach, and company.  Every day we took the littles for at least one walk into town.  They enjoyed playing in the sand at the beach and Jenna LOVED the pool.  It was a good time!

5 little sea monkeys! (see Tyler hanging on the railing?  mmm hmm.)




THIS is why I love puddle jumpers at this point.  No drowning anxieties for mama!







We capped off the weekend with ice cream.
This, my friends, is how a busy mom eats her ice cream.
In a very rushed, un-flattering, and taking-care-of-others way.
Still tasted good, though!
Hope you are enjoying Summer!

Hugs!

Becky





No comments:

Post a Comment