shabby background

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Homemade Yogurt!

Yogurt.  It is delicious, nutritious, and we go through TONS of it!  I buy the jumbo pack of single flavored yogurts plus 2 tubs of plain or vanilla yogurt every single time I go to Costco (which is just about weekly).  And in a week?  Whoosh!  Gone.  Guaranteed.

When my sister Cindy told me she had a recipe for homemade yogurt, I was skeptical.  I thought it must be difficult to make.  Or taste kinda weird.  However, she is a fantastic cook and has great taste.  She is a mom of 3, raises tons of chickens, and always has great tips for using natural products.  She also has her own business, Cindy's Suds, where she makes the most amazing soaps, balms, soaks, and more (check it out here!).  So- decided to give it a try.

The recipe is absurdly simple.  I will give you the steps along with her recommended time-line:

5:30 PM-  Step 1
Pour 1/2 gallon of whole milk into crock pot on low (you can use 2%, but that turns out slightly thinner to me).  Cover with lid; cook 2.5 hours.

8:00 PM-  Step 2
Unplug crock pot.  Let it sit for 3 hours.


11:00 PM-  Step 3
Whisk in 1/2 cup of plain "starter" yogurt and re-cover.  Wrap the crock pot in a towel or blanket and let it sit 8 hours.


It's all nice and snug under that blanket ;)
7:00 AM- Step 4
Put in fridge.  Enjoy later that day!

The result is thick, creamy "normal" plain yogurt that you feel good feeding your kids.  You probably could add maple syrup, sugar, honey, or vanilla flavoring right away if you like it sweet but I tend to flavor it as we eat it.  Cindy says you can use this yogurt as the "starter" the next time around too.  We have yet to try that, only because we go through it so fast.
This is what it looks like later that day.  It will probably stay good for a week.  My kids inhale it usually within 2 days!

My favorite way of serving my homemade yogurt: with a spoonful of strawberry jam and some thawed frozen berries.

So do the kids like it?





Absolutely!!!


This is an update as of 9/15:  I have made this yogurt more times than I can count.  I only use Vitamin D milk because it is creamier and the kids can use those calories.  I stick to the above recipe & timeline and it always turns out great.  

HOWEVER, in the morning, I am now in the habit of placing coffee filters in a strainer, placing the strainer over a large bowl, and pouring the just-made yogurt into the strainer.  I throw the uncovered, strainer-nested-bowl in the fridge for a bit & retrieve it when I remember later on (1/2 hour up to 4 hours).  
The result is very thick & creamy pearly white, Greek-like yogurt.  I throw out the yellowish liquid from the bowl, toss the yogurt into the bowl (don't forget to remove the coffee filters) & stir in 1 tsp vanilla & 3-4 T of sugar to the yogurt.  

IT IS HEAVEN.  Serious yumminess.  I dare you not to lick the spoon ;)


Bon Appetit!

Becky

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I love the pictures and schedule especially. I've had your texted recipe saved, but now it's pinned so I'm ready to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for this great and thorough instruction to make yogurt! We eat so much yogurt and we've always used the cym-100 Cuisinart yogurt maker. But now I'm going to try your home made recipe! Thank you so much again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I will be making yogurt for the first time and I will be using this recipe .

    When you say you use "1/2 cup," do your mean 4 ounces or 1/2 of the container pictured?

    Thanks for the easy to follow instructions with pictures & timeline…it's given me the the encouragement I needed to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizz! Yes, I mean 4 ounces :-)
      Thanks for reading! Good luck!

      Delete
  4. When you use it as a starter, how much do you save out? Somewhere i read only 2 TBSP, but i would assume the 1/2 cup?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, perhaps you only need 2 tablespoons, but I do 1/2 cup to make sure there is plenty of cultures for the next batch. Thanks for your question!

    ReplyDelete